Wednesday, December 2, 2009

AT11.2 Karsh




http://homepage.mac.com/curatorial1/KARSH%20%7C%20Heroes/large-79.html

I chose the image with Edward and Joanna Steichen which was taken in 1967.
From what I have learnt so far in the darkroom I feel that the techniques used in this image are as follows:

I believe that Karsh shot this image with a high perspective. It looks like Karsh was on the top of a hill shooting down towards his subject which would be the people in the boat. He also used the rule of thirds by keeping his subject on the lower third of the image. Because the image is outdoors I would say he used natural lighting of the sun. You can see that his subject is lit up as well as spots in the water and of course on the tree. I really see a lot of contrast in this image and maybe a bit of dodging and burning on the trees and bushes to the left side. Im not 100% sure I can say that he would have flashed the image because we didn't so anything this dark in class. But it may be a possibility.

I absolutely loved that we got to see this exhibit. I liked Karsh' exhibit better then Richard Harrington's. I found that Karsh's images are a lot more clean cut which is what I like to see in people portraits. It was difficult choosing one image to choose from but I found that the Edward and Joanna Steichen piece stood out the most. I love the clean lines, and that for myself anyway the subject are the people in the boat then it leads you to the tree on the right side of the image and around the image to the people again. I know I was told by you that I use to much contrast sometimes but I love the dark look in an image. I feel that it sets off a mood depending on the subject in the image. I also love the perspective of the image because I feel that if he shot at eye level he would not have received the same effect that this image sets. All in all I loved all his work and will definitely be going back to the WAG to see his and others exhibits.

No comments:

Post a Comment